THIS interesting old building, at the corner of Stanley Lane and Riley Street in East Sydney, traded as the Harp of Erin Hotel for almost 50 years.
The three ‘harps’ on the facade are the give-away that the building, currently used as an art gallery, was once a pub.
A little research found that the pub was established by Peter Rielly in 1874. Sadly it was forced to close for business on June 30 1921 by the NSW Licenses Reduction Board.
The owner was compensated £1,000, while the licensee, Ross Anderson received £1,140 in compensation.