Advertisements

Niagara Hotel, Niagara WA

post office niagara western australia c1897

Niagara Post Office Western Australia C1897. Photo: Royal Western Australian Historical Society 

Niagara Hotel Niagara WA 1902

Niagara Hotel in 1902. In front are Mrs. and Mr. M. Farren and Mrs. Clara Paton, her sister Dolly, and Billy Burke.

Mrs Clara Paton recalled in the Western Mail (Perth) on October 30 1952:

NIAGARA’S RISE

“IN February, 1895, Dorrie Doolette and Charley Northmore arrived at the 90-mile and asked my husband, Arthur Williams, the licensee of the 90-Mile Hotel, if they could put their pack bags under the billiard table and camp in the billiard room. We knew at once they had found a mine.

Dorrie was in great spirits and entertained all hands with his jokes, tales and recitations while Mr. Northmore and Harry Gregory talked about some interesting country out back. They spent money freely, shouting for all hands. Next day, they continued on to Coolgardie to report their find and named the mine “The Challenge,” 45 miles beyond Menzies.

It was not long before a township was surveyed there and four hotel licences were granted Tom Farren built the first hotel with mud bricks and called it the “Niagara Hotel.”

Niagara soon developed into a flourishing little town with an hotel on each corner facing each other.

Not far from the township there was a piece of breakaway country which made a beautiful waterfall in the rainy season and a good catchment for water. This is why the town was called “Niagara.” The “Falls” was a beauty spot and was admired by many people in the early days.

There were several other mines around Niagara that produced a lot of gold; “The Champion,” “The Britannia” and “The Batavia,” and a number of prospect-ors working small shows.

The centre of the street between the four hotels seemed to be the meeting place where ail the prospectors and miners would meet on pay night to discuss their problems, and also where the two-up school would be held which would usually end up in a fight over bets. Fred Wilkinson, from Doodlakine, licensee of the “Great Western” Hotel, was always referee to see fair play, generally ending up in a bout himself.

Niagara is now deserted. There are only the remains of a few mud bricks and a Pepper tree where Niagara once was a township.”

Advertisements


Categories: Western Australia hotels

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

What's Your Thoughts?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: