Choked on a right Royal sav


The Royal Hotel, Murrurundi NSW C1890

A swagman, whose name is unknown, dropped dead outside the Royal Hotel at Murrurundi on Friday night. It appears that the man bought some saveloys, took a bite of one, and apparently attempted to swallow it. The result was that it became embedded in his windpipe, and death ensued within a few minutes. The deceased was about 50 years of age.
– Manilla Express (NSW )Wednesday 21 July 1909.
The Royal Hotel, built original built as the Commercial C.1865 and re-named the Royal in the 1890s. It was once called Sidney’s Hotel after its owner. A stone building at the rear of the hotel was originally used by Cobb & Co. The Commercial Hotel was demolished but the Royal Hotel still stood in 2002. [Information from Barbara Riddell, Sect., Murrurundi & District Historical Society].

Categories: NSW hotels

Tags: , ,

What's Your Thoughts?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.