SYDNEY’S original Rosehill Racecourse Hotel was located at the corner of Eleanor and Alfred Streets Rosehill before its forced closure in 1929.
Established in the mid 1880s, owner, Tooth and Company brewery transferred the pub’s license to a purpose built hotel in Station Street, Campsie.
The old Racecourse Hotel sat empty for years, used for a period of time as a soup kitchen for the unemployed during the early 1930s, before it was condemned by Granville Council and demolished in 1934.
A new license for a hotel on the corner of Alfred Street and Parramatta Road at Rosehill was granted to Charles Brett in April 1931. That hotel continues to trade today (2019).
Rosehill Hotel Demolished
Yes! those hectic days are gone. No more will the clink of billiard balls be heard as the pedestrian passes by the open door; no more will the metallic ring of the horses’ feet be heard by patrons of the hotel as they make their way to seek their owner’s fortune on the emerald turf of the Rosehill Racecourse; no more will the clink of glasses be waft on the breeze from within the bar, where winners and losers drank one another’s health – all this is past, and with the recent demolition of the Rosehill Hotel, in Alfred street, Granville, have also gone many who remembered the “house” in the good old days. With the advancing years came progress and decay; the license was transferred to the Hotel Rosehill, at the corner of Alfred-street and the Sydney-road, and the old hotel‘s death-knell was sounded. Today, a few bricks scattered over a vacant corner remain to remind the “old hands” of what used to be. Racing men bow their heads as they pass by.
– The Cumberland Argus (Parramatta NSW), Thursday 7 February 1935.