OLD DUNMORE ARMS HOTEL
BRISBANE newspaper, The Week on December 7 1923, published images of two pubs that graced the corner of George and Elizabeth Streets in the Queensland capital.
The first pub on the corner was the Dunmore Arms Hotel, which became became famous on September 9, 1866 when Police Magistrate, Mr. H. H. Massie, read the Riot Act from the pub’s balcony after a disturbance in George Street. The date of the photograph is thought to about 1875.
The newspaper published on the same page, an image of the Treasury Hotel, on the same corner, which replaced the Dunmore Arms in 1887. And today, we can happily say, the Treasury Hotel continues to trade from the same busy corner, as revealed in our Google Streetview image published here.