OUTTRIM (Vic.) was once a town with a population of 5,000. With the demolition the other day of the Bridge Hotel, the last link with the town’s past glory has been broken. The fittings and timber of the old hotel were sold by public auction. Not a business house now remains, although a few of the streets are still paved with asphalt. – Beechworth.
– Australiana, The World’s News (Sydney, NSW) Saturday 23 November 1940.
OUTTRIM was originally used for farming in the mid-1800s, but coal was discovered in the area in 1892 south of Outtrim railway station. Outtrim and Jumbunna coal fields developed in the mid-1890s, with access to the markets for the coal being established via the Outtrim railway line. Outtrim Post Office opened on 10 May 1894 and closed in 1957. The township grew up by the mine and was named after the Honourable Albert Richard Outtrim, MLA, Minister of Mines in the Victorian Government at the time. By the 1940s only a small number of companies remained working the mines in the area. By the 1980s the township of Outtrim had virtually disappeared with only a few buildings remaining in the town area, and the land returning to farming. The land around Outtrim is now largely cleared of native vegetation and is used for agriculture, including dairying.
-From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Categories: Victoria hotels