THE Blues Point Hotel, at McMahon Point, North Sydney, has undergone a few transformations since it was established in 1864.
The current pub was built in 1938, however the site at the southern corner of Blues Point Road and French Street has been home to a pub since the early 1860s, when the road lead to the Sydney Harbour ferry crossing.
Established as the North Shore Hotel, the pub was a busy and popular drinking hole prior to the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1932.
After the Bridge opened, Blues Point Road became much quieter, and the owners of the North Shore Hotel, Tooheys Limited, embarked on an ambitious modernisation of the old pub.
Architects Justelius and Frederick were engaged to design a new pub in 1938. When the pub was completed, it traded under the name of the McMahon Point Hotel until 1973.
From 1973, the pub became known as the Blues Point Hotel. It continues to trade as a popular neighbourhood pub for the McMahon Point community.