THE BREAKING OF THE DROUGHT
CAMPSIE is to have its only hotel, but many residents oppose the innovation. They allege that it will “bring undesirables to the district, and by the cause of disturbances.
The history of Campsie for the past few years has been a record of defeated applications to the locality. Opponents of hotels have been kept busy fighting the applicants.
Now a license has been granted, and they have to transfer their opposition to higher courts. A public meeting of protest was held last night, and another has been arranged. The supporters of thew proposal argue that the establishment of a hotel in such a thickly populated area is an urgent necessity. They point out that there is no hotel from Canterbury, near Hurlstone Park, to Belmore. The establishment of the railway works at Chullora has brought an influx of new residents, and it is stated that accommodation is practically unobtainable.
– Sydney Evening News Saturday 27 February 1926.
The Campsie Hotel opened for business on July 7 1927, with Reg Downing as licensee.