KANGAROO SKIN MEASURES NEARLY NINE FEET.
The Hotel Flinders, Port Augusta South Australia was established circa 1854. The pub is the oldest established hotel in the area and was originally named ‘MacKay’s Hotel’ after the local mayor (Alexander MacKay).
The Hotel Flinders attained its current name when James W. Gawen took over ownership in March 1879. The original description in the Port Augusta Dispatch of 1880 describes the Flinders Family Hotel:
“…The principal feature in hotels is the “Flinders” quite a palatial affair of from 40-50 rooms. Travellers can be accommodated with every luxury, including a look out on the top of the house, spacious promenade, fine billiard room, with two tables…”
– Port Augusta Dispatch March 26 1880.
– Thanks to thehotelflinders.com
Categories: South Australia Hotels