Hotel Darwin in 1948, where a croc on the bar in the saloon almost severed a drinker’s finger
Bitten by croc in hotel bar
Darwin. – Pat Wright, taxi driver, had the index finger of his right hand nearly severed yesterday afternoon when he tweaked a 5-ft. crocodile’s tail in Hotel Darwin Saloon bar. He was given an injection to counteract, poison from the decay behind the crocodile’s inch-long teeth.
The crocodile had been put on the bar counter while its owner had a drink. It appeared to be asleep when Wright touched it. It took four men to open the crocodile’s jaws and clamp them with an empty beer bottle.
– News (Adelaide, SA)Tuesday 26 October 1948.
The Hotel Darwin, corner of Herbert and Mitchell Streets, Darwin 2016. Photo: Google Streetview.
PAYPAL BAR TIP
If you would like to support my work, you can leave a small 'bar tip' here of $2, or several small tips, just increase the amount as you like. Your generous patronage of my work and research, however small it appears to you, will greatly help me with my continuing costs.