THE Australian Inn Hotel at Woolloomooloo traded for just over 100 years before it was forced to shut after the license was transferred to Yagoona, in Sydney’s west.
John J. Earl licensed the Australian Inn on the corner of Woolloomooloo (now Cathedral) and Riley Streets on March 10 1857.
The pub’s license was transferred to Yagoona to enable the Hume Hotel to open in October 15 1958. The Hume Highway continues to trade today.
The last publican of the Australian Hotel was Allen Clarence Burns.