THE Belmore Hotel began business controversially in 1928.
Parramatta publican, Harry Gadd transferred his license of the Gate House Hotel to the corner of Burwood Road and Tobruk Avenue Belmore in Sydney’s inner-west on August 14 1928.
The 51-year-old publican was granted permission by the licensing courts to transfer the historic license, which had been operating on the south-east corner of George and O’Connell Street, Parramatta, opposite the George Street Tudor Gatehouse to Parramatta Park, since the 1870s.
The transfer caused quite a stir when the first application was made in July 1927.
Canterbury Council’s Labor mayor, Eric Howard admitted to receiving £50 for giving favourable evidence to Gadd’s application for the Belmore pub.
Gadd had a short stay at Belmore and by November he was hosting the Forest Lodge Hotel in Sydney’s inner-west.
Tooth and Company brewery purchased the Belmore Hotel in August 1932, and held the freehold for 68 years before selling the pub in 1980.