Advertisements

Imperial Hotel, Paddington

imperial hotel paddington tg 2017

The Imperial Hotel, Paddington 2017. Photo: Time Gents.

The landmark Sydney pub, the Imperial, at the corner of Oxford and Underwood Streets, Paddington was established by Henry Challener in 1874.

Originally known as the Cross Guns Hotel, the name was changed to the Imperial in 1891.

Edmund Resch, who owned the Waverly Brewery, had the head lease of the hotel from at least 1901, and in 1910 he purchased the freehold of the pub. He drew up plans for a magnificent three storey replacement building the same year.

Licensee Alice Flitcroft (3rd fr L), Frank Flitcroft (4th fr L)

Imperial Hotel, Paddington, Sydney, C1893. Photo: Catherine Flitcroft.

Imperial_Hotel_Plans_1910_StateRecords_9590_62944smlr

Imperial Hotel, Oxford and Sarah Streets, Paddington, Plans for re-erection of hotel, second floor plan, roof plan, elevations to Oxford and Sarah Streets, Signed 17 March 1910. Photo: State Archives & Records NSW (Architect E Lindsay-Thompson, 52 Sydney Arcade, King Street, Sydney).

Imperial_Hotel_Plans_1910_StateRecords_9590_62943smlr

Imperial Hotel, Oxford and Sarah Streets, Paddington, Plans for re-erection of hotel, basement, ground and first floor plan and section, Applicant/owner, Reschs Limited, Signed 17 March 1910. Photo: State Archives & Records NSW (Architect E Lindsay-Thompson, 52 Sydney Arcade, King Street, Sydney).

The new building was completed in 1910, and the new Imperial Hotel was owned jointly by Reschs Ltd. and Owen Peters Ltd.

Owen Peter Ltd continue to hold the freehold of the Imperial, making it one of the longest running ownerships of a pub in Australia.

Imperial Hotel Paddington 1949 ANU

Imperial Hotel, Paddington, Sydney, 1949. Photo: Noel Butlin Archives, Australian National University.

Advertisements


Categories: NSW hotels, Sydney hotels

Tags: , , , , ,

What's Your Thoughts?

%d bloggers like this: