THE most prominent building in Jugiong NSW is the distinctive Sir George Tavern which stands at the end of the main street.
An Irish settler, John Philip Sheahan, built the first Sir George Tavern on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River in 1845 but it was washed away in the floods of 1852. Undeterred by this setback Sheahan decided to build something which would last forever. He brought stonemasons from Ireland and built the current Sir George Tavern which opened for business a few years later.
The Sir George Tavern is a monument to permanence with the walls being over 500cm thick. That permanence extends to the family. In 2004 the Sheahan family still ran the pub making it at the time the oldest family-run hotel in Australia.
[The Farmer and Settler (Sydney) Friday 1 April 1949]
Jugiong Holds Hotel History
THE opinion that 90 years’ possession of the one hotel by the one family line will “take some beating in Australia” was recently expressed by Mr. Murray Robertson, licensee of the Wheatsheaf Hotel, Allandale North, according to the S.A. “Licensed Victuallers’ Gazette” but the record for Australia belongs to the Sheahan family, which has conducted the Jugiong Hotel, Jugiong, continuously for over 104 years,states the N.S.W. U.L.V.A.
It was on April 15, 1844, that John Phillip Sheahan took over the Jugiong Hotel, at Jugiong, which was an important place in the old coaching days. At that time Mr. Sheahan had a mail contract from Yass to Albury. In 1852, the original hotel was washed away in the great Murrumbidgee flood. Afterwards the present hotel was built.
Categories: NSW hotels