LEGEND has it that at one stage you couldn’t throw a stone in Kalgoorlie without hitting a hotel. Here’s a list of pubs that traded in the Western Australian gold mining town, put together by Perth newspaper, the Western Mail and published on May 15 1941.
OLD hands delight in ferreting around in their minds for the names of the pubs that slaked dust-caked throats in Kalgoorlie 45 years ago. With the help of Mr, W. C. J. Hill, pioneer goldfields publican and well known horseman, I have compiled a list of pubs that flourished within a radius of two miles of the Kalgoorlie Post Office in the nineties. Here they are, 47 in all:
* Hannan-street: left-hand side going west: Federal; Goldfields (delicensed) ; Criterion (delicensed – now Savoy Cafe); Broken Hill (delicensed); Exchange; Palace; Victoria; Oriental; York; Globe (delicensed); Marble Bar (delicensed); Kalgoorlie; and Star and Garter. There were three wine and beer saloons Daly’s, Alderdice’s and Armanasco’s.
* Hannan-street: right-hand side going west: Duke of Cornwall (W. C. J. Hill proprietor three times); Crown Shades (delicensed, bar was underground, and hence pub was known as the “Dug-Out”) ; Grand (built by Stevenson); Central (delicensed – also known as the Black Swan and City); Australia; Commercial; White Heart (delicensed); National (delicensed, Jerry McAuliffe, proprietor) ; Shamrock (delicensed, Faddy Whelan, proprietor); and Home from Home (renamed Hannans after Kalgoorlie riots of 1934 when it was burnt by rioters).
* Brookman-street: West Kalgoorlie: Golden District (delicensed).
* Dugan-street: Her Majesty’s (next to Tivoli Theatre, delicensed).
* Forrest-street: Torbay Arms (delicensed, opposite goods sheds) ; Telluride (delicensed); Queensland (delicensed): Royal (delicensed); Inland City (previously the Champion, name changed by Mr. Hill); Railway.
* Piccadilly-street: Piccadilly; Locomotive (delicensed – on the flat opposite the Queensland and Telluride).
* Maritana-street: Tower; Great Boulder (delicensed); Surrey (delicensed); Maritana (delicensed); Mt. Lyell; Foundry; Half-Way (delicensed).
* Macdonald-street: Union Club; and Commonwealth (delicensed).
* Cheetham-street: Gala; Racecourse (delicensed, near Kalgoorlie racecourse).
* Outridge-terrace: Glen Devon (de-licensed); British Arms (delicensed).
Parkeston: Rising Sun Hotel (Bull Bennit, proprietor).
* Williamstown: (Mr Hill, proprietor).
Forty-five years ago there were 47 pubs to about 15,000 to 20,000 people. Today,  within a radius of two miles of the post office 23 pubs serve a population of between 12,000 and 15,000.
* COUNT KANOWNA, Salmon Gums.
Categories: Western Australia hotels