Gould’s Cecil Inn

cecil inn Victoria 1897

AFTER leaving Moe [Victoria] by the coach for Walhalla the track is through a mass of scrub country, with no break to the monotony for a distance of twelve miles. When this distance had been covered a fall into the road is reached and a pretty little scene is viewed from the coach.

At the foot of a steep pinch is the bridge across the River Tyers, and on the bank of the stream and prettily situated stands the Cecil Inn, the proprietor of which is one of the pioneers of Gippsland – Mr Gould. He left London in 1856, at the conclusion of the Crimean peace rejoicing, and on landing in the colony went direct to the north west goldfields, for at this time some rich deposits were found at Dunolly, and a few feet from where Mr Gould was working the famous Blanche Barkley nugget was unearthed. He then visited and worked on what was afterwards known as the New North Clunes, which he in turn left for a visit to the rush at Port Curtis.

In 1858 he left Melbourne for the specific purpose of prospecting Gippsland, and claims to be the first man who left Melbourne for this purpose… in 1877 he settled down on the ground he now occupies. He has built a splendid dining-room at the Cecil Inn, capable of seating 40 persons, and travellers by the coaches between Walhalla and Moe always be sure of a welcome and good lunch at the Inn.

– Weekly Times Saturday November 20 1897.

 



Categories: Australian Hotels

Tags: , , ,

What's Your Thoughts?

%d bloggers like this: