In One Hotel for 68 Years
The Neich Family’s Record
Mr Burwood Neich, late of the Bath Arms Hotel, Burwood, has taken over the Clubhouse Hotel at Wellington, and this fact brings to mind one of the most unique records put up by any licensed victualler in Australia.
The license of the Bath Arms Hotel was held by the Neich family for 68 years, and Mr Burwood Neich’s application for his Wellington license makes the 90th application for a renewal made by this family. His father, Mr Emanuel Neich was a licensee for 63 years, and during the whole of that time there was not one mark or charge brought against him by the licensing inspector or the police – a record that would be hard to beat by any other publican in the colony.
During the visit of the Duke of Connaught to Australia the elephant which was presented to him at Colombo was kept at the Bath Arms Hotel, and created no little attention at that time. Since 1830.
Mr Emanual Neich’s first license was for a hotel known as “The Black Dog on the Rocks,” Sydney, in the year 1830, two of the then presiding magistrates being Messrs Rossi and Windeyer.
In 1834 he removed to Burwood, and took over the Bath Arms Hotel, in which place he presided until his death.
On Mr Neich’s application for his 60th renewal the licensing inspector for the metropolitan district (Mr. W. S. Lenthall) kindly asked Mr Neich to be present, and afterwards presented him with a copy of his report, stating that when another 60 years had passed his great-grand-children might prize the document.
An Old Report
The inspector’s report which is still in the son’s possession, was as follows:-“With reference to the attached application, I beg to call attention of the Licensing Bench to the fact that this is the 60th annual renewal of a publican’s li-cense which has been granted to Mr Neich. I am informed that he first held a publican’s license in Sydney in 1830. He now keeps a house, which is his own property, in a most respectable manner, and has, I believe, never been summoned for any breach of the Licensing Acts. In fact, he is a credit and example to the trade he belongs to, and certainly is the oldest publican in New South Wales, if not in the world. I feel sure that the Licensing Bench will feel pleased to know of the above facts.”
The Son Follows
On the granting of his 57th renewal, Mr Neich entertained a number of his friends at the City Catering Rooms, among the guests being Mr. (now Sir) J. H. Carruthers, who was then Minister for Public Instruction, and other well-known public, men. Mr Carruthers, in the course of his speech, stated that, if all public houses were conducted on the same lines as their guest’s, there would he no need for prohibition.
Mr Neich died on October 14, 1893, at the age of 87 years. The license then passed over to his wife, and she held it up till the time of her death, which took place in June, 1909. The son, Mr Burwood Neich, then took up the license, which he held until October 21, 1919, when a long and worthy family record came to an end.
Mr B. Neich still has in his possession the old brass plate of the “Black Dog on the Rocks,” which his father used for the printing of his labels. Two sons are now hotelkeepers in Wellington, viz., Mr Burwood Neich, of the Clubhouse Hotel, and Mr Ossie Neich, of the Royal Hotel, the latter being the well-known trainer of trotting horses.
Mr Neich and his family were well known in Parramatta, where the late Mr William Neich kept the Rose and Crown Hotel, where he also had an unblemished record as a licensee. Mrs R. Hack was the daughter-in-law of Mr. Emanuel Neich, and she managed the Old White Horse Hotel, Parramatta, where she had equal distinction with the late father and brothers.
– Cumberland Argus 19 January 1921.
A COMPLIMENTARY report by Inspector Lenthall, metropolitan district inspector under the Licensing Act, was read by the magistrates presiding over the annual sitting of the licensing court at the central police court, Sydney, on Tuesday. The report had reference to the application of Emanuel Neich, licensee of the Bath Arms Hotel, Burwood, for a renewal of his license, which was granted. Attention of the bench was called to the fact that this was the sixtieth annual renewal of a publican’s license granted to Mr. Neich, who first held a license in Sydney as far back as 1830. His house – his own property – was kept in a most reputable manner and he had never been summoned for any breach of the Licensing Act. He was a credit to the trade and was the oldest publican in New South Wales, if not the world. Mr Neich entertained a number of his friends the same day at the City Catering Rooms. Mr Curruthers (minister for public instructions) presided, and a number of other well-known gentlemen were present. It was mentioned that Mr. Neich is the father of twenty-seven children, of who nineteen are living.
-Goulburn Herald (NSW), Friday 12 June 1891.
The Last Renewal
The patriarch of Sydney publicans, Emanuel Neich, a native of Genoa (Italy), has died at his residence, Bath Arms, Parramatta Road, Burwood, aged 86 years. He held the licence of the house for 62 years, and boasted that he had never been prosecuted for any breach of the law.
– National Advocate (Bathurst, NSW) Saturday 21 October 1893
|Country of Origin||Italy|
|Date of Birth||20.1.1807|
|Year of Arrival in Australia||1826|
|Submitted by||Dorothy De George (nee Neich)|
Emanuel joined the Italian Merchant Marine at 14 and mistakenly found himself coming out to New Holland (Australia, not Holland) and decided to stay. He was born Emmanuel Danero in Genoa. The Captain on board the ‘Lord Rodney’ called him Neich, he assumed that name when he arrived. He owned The Black Dog Hotel in the Rocks but was conned out of his money by the manager he installed whilst he continued his merchant career sailing around the Pacific.
He married a local girl, Mary Comer, daughter of a convict, James Comer, in St Phillips Church, Sydney 20.1.1834. James gave them his hotel, The Bath Arms, Burwood NSW as a wedding present. They raised 14 children before Mary died at 44. Emanuel married again (Maryann Parkinson) and produced another 10 children. During his first marriage Emanuel also produced another child with Mary Cupitt on 10.2.1846 and they called her Sophia Neich. Sophia married William Whatman and their 6th child, Emily, married George Bradman – the parents of Sir Donald Bradman.
Emanuel held an unblemished liquor licence from 1830 – 1893, and became a leading citizen of Burwood. He, James and family were instrumental in opening a road between the Bath Arms on Parramatta Road to Liverpool Road known as Neich’s Lane (now Burwood Rd) and from Parramatta Rd to Hen & Chicken Bay on the Parramatta River.
Emanuel Neich, Seafarer, Trader, Innkeeper, Landowner and Free Settler died in Burwood 14.10.1893 (86 years). His cortage extended from the Bath Arms to St John’s Church in Alt Street, Ashfield where he is buried with his first wife Mary (27.12.1819 – 26.11.1863) and four of their children in a magnificent standstone carved vault in the church grounds.
The Bath Arms Hotel continues to trade today at the corner of Burwood Road and Parramatta Road, Burwood on the same site in an updated building. Photo: timeout.com
The Bath Arms was remodelled in the mid 1920s,
with a new brick facade added to the front.
OLD HOTEL BEING DEMOLISHED
The Bath Arms, Parramatta-road, Burwood (Sydney), one of the oldest hotels in Australia, is in the hands of the demolishers. The hotel was established more than 110 years ago, and was once visited by the Donoghue gang of bushrangers after the murder of a Waddell. The hotel stables, which were reputed once to have housed Carbine, will not be pulled down.
– Daily Advertiser (Wagga Wagga) Saturday 30 January 1937