Advertisements

Romano’s Hotel, Wagga Wagga

Romanos Hotel former commercial hotel wagga

Romano’s Hotel, Wagga Wagga. Photo: romanoshotel.com.au

Bellairs Commercial Hotel Wagga 1910

Ballair’s Commercial Hotel 1910. Photo: Photo: The Sydney Mail 1910.

BELLAIR’S HOTEL is the leading- house on the Southern line, and commands a large business from the travelling- public. The hotel has been in the hands of the Bellair family for over 25 years. Our illustrations show the hotel property as seen from Fitzmaurice-street, and an interior picture of the dining-room. The cuisine is excellent, and well served. The hotel enjoys a high reputation, and the motto of the proprietors is, ‘Everything of the Best.’ The commercial travellers’ sample-rooms are commodious, and the stabling’ accommodation is very extensive.

– The Sydney Mail Wednesday 10 August 1910.

commercial hotel dining room wagga 1910

The Commercial Hotel’s dining room 1910. Photo: The Sydney Mail 1910.

Located a stones throw from the Murrumbidgee River and in the heart of Wagga’s business district, Romano’s is a Riverina icon.

Built as the Commercial in 1857, it was one of the most substantial buildings in the Riverina. In 1885 TS Bellair took over and it was called the Bellair Commercial. It was occupied by the RAAF during WWII and purchased by Azzalin Orlando Romano in late 1945.

Azzalin Orlando Romano, a restaurateur, was born on 13 September 1894 at Padua, Italy. His early hospitality working life saw him work at hotels and restaurants in Nice, Monte Carlo, Paris, Berlin, Madrid and London. He rose through a pyramidal structure from receptionist to cook and from waiter to wine butler; he had learned to speak French, German, Spanish and English, in addition to his native Italian, and claimed to have served every King in Europe.

In his early twenties, while officiating as head waiter at London’s Ritz Hotel, he adopted Romano as his surname, reflecting his regard for one of the city’s most renowned restaurants.

In 1923, Romano come to Australia to run the luxurious Ambassadors restaurant in Pitt Street, Sydney. Four years later Romano’s Restaurant opened in York Street and in 1946 he purchased and lavishly rebuilt what is the current Romano’s Hotel Wagga Wagga.

Romano kept the pub for nearly 20 years before publicly offering it for sale.

Today Romano’s is owned by a syndicate with all members having strong associations with Wagga Wagga.

– www.romanoshotel.com.au

Advertisements


Categories: NSW hotels

Tags: , ,

What's Your Thoughts?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: