THERE’S a pub at Casino, in the Northern Rivers of NSW, about 30kms from Lismore that has an intriguing sign.
The Charcoal Inn looks like a fairly new type of pub, and you would be right in saying so.
Like many Australian pubs, she’s been rebuilt. The current version opened for business in 1955.
Originally known as the Lion Hotel, and later the South Casino Hotel, the story of how the corner pub got its current name, The Charcoal Inn is interesting.
Matthew Dougherty owned the South Casino Hotel on October 28 1941 when a fire almost destroyed the old landmark. Matthew’s father, who died in 1939, had owned the pub before him for over 10 years.
The upper floor of the pub was destroyed by the blaze, but the beer continued to flow in the undamaged bar.
Local troops, who patronised the place, began referring to the pub as the Charcoal Inn. Dougherty liked the name, and it stuck. He officially changed the sign in 1945, before the old place was completely demolished 10 years later and replaced with the current structure.
Categories: NSW hotels