THE Waterworks Hotel at Botany will reach a significant milestone next year when it marks its 150 year anniversay.
Named after the nearby Sydney Waterworks, which was established in 1858, the little pub at the corner of Bay Street and Botany Road was opened by Irish couple, William and Maria Wolloghan, in September 1869.
A native of County Wicklow, Ireland, William came to NSW as a teenager in the early 1840s with his parents before gaining employment with the Hunter River Steamship Company. He married Maria Devitt in 1861, and together they built their Botany pub, where they would bring-up five children.
The Wolloghans ran the pub for 15 years before the couple took-up storekeeping in Botany. They became wealthy, acquiring a large amount of real estate in that locality, before their retirement to a property by the name of Glendalough at Bexley in the late 1880s.
William died at the age of 77 in 1902 and his widow, Maria in 1908 at the age of 71.
Additions were made to the Waterworks Hotel in 1909, and again in 1912.
The freehold of the Waterworks Hotel was purchased by brewery giant, Tooth and Company in 1919.
The Waterworks lost its beautiful old balcony and ornate façade when owner, Tooths brewery spent over £30,000 on “modernising” the historic pub in the latter part of 1953. On completion, the sign was officially changed to the Endeavour Hotel, on July 12 1954.
The pub’s name reverted to the Waterworks in 2007 when it again underwent a major redevelopment at a cost of $560,000.
Waterworks Yields Big Rum Haul.
SYDNEY: Thieves had a big haul of rum and beer valued at more than £130 from the Waterworks Hotel, Botany. It consisted of two 10-gallon kegs and two five gallon demijohns of overproof rum and two 27 gallon kegs ready for retailing and nine dozen bottles of beer. The thieves used a lorry which was heard by neighbours about 3.30am, but the robbery was not discovered until 8am.
– Brisbane Telegraph Wednesday 23 October 1946.