Sadly the beer at the Glasgow Arms, at the corner of Young and Cowper Streets, Carrington (NSW) flows no more.
The Glasgow Arms was built in 1939, replacing an older pub next door. Although long closed, its striking yellow tiles survived up until they were painted over in 2017. The pub now trades as a kindergarten.
The Newcastle Morning Herald reported on June 3 1939:
Occupying a prominent position on an island block at Carrington, the Glasgow Arms Hotel was completed this week. The expenditure involved was £10,000. The building, in brick, has a frontage of 66 feet to Young-street by a depth of 180 feet to Cowper street, the site at one time forming part of the area covered by the transport system of the Hetton colliery. On the ground floor there are tile public bar, 60 feet by 16 feet; saloon bar, 17 feet by 10 feet; private bar, 10 feet by 15 feet; dining-room, 28 feet x 16 feet, with kitchen and offices adjoining; parlour and store. All the appointments are up to date, and there is a spacious entrance hall. On the first floor there are 12 rooms, the average size of each being 12 feet by 10 feet, and fitted with basins serviced with hot and cold water. The lounge room on this floor is 20 feet by 17 feet. There are two bathroom blocks, one private bathroom, and two verandahs, 20 feet by 8 feet. The roof is of corrugated asbestos sheeting. The concrete suspended floors are a feature of construction, the reinforced concrete suspended awning being the first of this type in Newcastle. There are three lock-up garages, and the whole of the yard is concreted. The building was erected by Mr. L. G. Price, contractor, under the supervision of Messrs. Castleden and Sara as architects. They were also the designers.