HERE’S a blast from Redfern’s past… the former City View Hotel, which sits on the corner of Vine Street and Abercrombie Street, just opposite the Eveliegh Hotel.
The City View was established by John Walsh in 1877 and traded for 88 years before owner, Tooth & Company transferred its license to Miller, near Liverpool, in South-West Sydney.
Tooths brewery purchased the City View in 1929, with the last licensee being Les Waddell. Prior to Waddell, Ron Madden hosted the pub for many years.
The City View Hotel closed for business on May 25 1965, allowing the Green Valley Hotel at Miller to open for business on the same day.