By MICK ROBERTS ©
YOU could say that the timber pub at Landsborough has itchy feet.
Landsborough is a small Queensland town on the Sunshine Coast hinterland, situated north of the Glasshouse Mountains, 82km north of Brisbane.
At the 2011 census, the town had a population of 3,706.
Landsborough is situated on the main railway line from Brisbane and there are several services daily southbound to Brisbane and northbound to Nambour and Gympie.
Anyway, back to the Landsborough pub and its itchy feet.
Now known as the Landsborough Hotel, the pub was established as the Mellum Club Hotel in 1888, when the town was known as Mellum Creek, and didn’t always sit at its present address – 32 Cribb Street. In fact it traded almost 2kms away at the corner of the Gympie and Maleny roads, and was pulled on skids by bullock teams over a two week period to its current location in June 1914.
What was more extraordinary was the fact that the pub didn’t lose a day’s trade over the two week period. The pub was shifted slowly by day, and then served thirsty patrons by night.
In its original location on the Old Gympie Road, the Mellum Club Hotel was on the main route to the Gympie goldfields, and offered hospitality and refreshing ales to the passengers of Cobb & Co coaches, to the teamsters and to the early selectors.
That all changed with the arrival of the railway in 1890, when the name of the town became Landsborough, after noted explorer, William Landsborough.
The business centre moved away from the Mellum Club Hotel, further east towards the railway station. Trade dropped considerably for owner and local businessman, Henry Dyer, who took over the license of the pub in 1890.
In 1914, Dyer supervised the hotel being moved from Old Gympie Road on skids and pulled with winches by bullock teams to Cribb Street, where the central business area had developed following the completion of the railway line.
The Brisbane Courier reported on June 17 1914 that the contract for shifting the Mellum Club Hotel “to a site close to the Railway Station was successfully carried out by Contractor McKenzie. Extensive additions are being made to the building.”
Dyer owned the butcher shop, general store, hall and also a sawmill in Landsborough. He also had the lease on the Railway Refreshment Rooms from its inception until 1907.
Dyer continued to reside and run his businesses in the town until he moved to Brisbane in the 1931, where he died in 1938.
Today the hotel has its feet firmly in place in Cribb Street Landsborough where it continues to trade.
© Copyright Mick Roberts 2016
Categories: Queensland hotels