The Coolgardie Brewery was set up by a syndicate in 1895, and John Cocks was appointed brewer and manager.
According to the book, The Breweries of Australia, A History, by Keith Deutsher, the brewery was a small galvanised-iron building, with underground cellars alongside, dug into the side of a hill.
The business was registered as the Coolgardie Brewery & Ice Co. Ltd later that year.
The Coolgardie Brewery became the most extensive structure on the goldfields and the best selling beer, according to the Coolgardie Miner on May 28 1898.
The beer, which is acknowledged to be about the best made in Western Australia, is sent to Menzies, Niagara, Mr Leonora, Mt Malcolm and many other parts and has the largest sale of any beer in Coolgardie.
During 1898 the brewery aquired the Toorak Brewery, which had closed the previous year, at nearby Boulder, and started a branch brewery. By 1906 the Coolgardie Brewing & Ice Co. Ltd had been taken over by the WA Lion Brewery. Located in Renou Street, Coolgardie, with T. Bock as brewer, Lion closed the brewery in 1906.