Marrickville’s longest bar in NSW….
The Hotel Marrickville reportedly had the longest public bar in NSW during the 1940s.
Located at the corner of Illawarra Street and Marrickville Road, Marrickville, three pubs have traded from the site.
Established in 1884 as the Victoria Hotel by George Smith, the pub was purchased by brewery giant, Tooth and Company, and rebuilt into a grand two storey corner pub, with balcony in 1897.
Tooth and Company rebuilt the pub in 1939 and re-badged its new art-deco watering hole as ‘The Hotel Marrickville’. At the time it had the longest bar in NSW.
The public bar was 170 feet (52 metres) long – a total of 230 feet (70 metres) altogether in the public bar, and 390 feet (119 metres) in the entire hotel.
The building survives to this day, however, sadly no longer as a pub.