The demolition of the old Sans Souci hotel has removed from the St. George district a very old landmark. it was built by Mr. Cooper over one hundred and four years ago, during the regime of Governor Major-General Lachlan Macquarie, by State Labor.
The stone was in the vicinity and the timber used in its construction was taken from the trees grown nearby, and handsawn, for saw-mills were not then available, and at the time of demolition each were in good state of preservation.
In the stone walls and stout beams were quaint ‘hide-holes’ in unexpected places, and a steep stair-case ascending abruptly from what was the living room. By the way, a story is attached to that same staircase.
In the old days when convicts still lived in the scrub on the edge of the bay and the officer in charge dwelt in the stone house on the hill, a “step staircase” existed, which was drawn up religiously each night as a means of security against any marauder; but even in those days a determined cracks man would have found some means of attaining his desire in spite of this precaution. Originally a round tower-like building, the old house was improved by several additional rooms and a verandah, but otherwise it remained as it was when first erected; and it is this house, with its memories and associations that has been threatened and demolished at the hands of that juggernaut, “Progress”.
Such places should not be permitted to become the plaything of departments, but should be preserved as national property, and valued accordingly.
– St George Call Friday 6 May 1921.