JOHN Greaves, the genial boniface of the British Empire Hotel, is a son of Erin, Born in Limerick, with his brother he left the land of the Shamrock in 1865 in the ship Sunda for Mornton Bay.
Their first occupation was on a sheep station and then mining attracted him, and he followed it up with success for 10 years.
Gympie was the first field, and there, in company with others, among whom was John Macrossan, he went to the Gilbert River, walking the 360 miles from Townsville. He was also on the Etheridge and Rockhampton from which place he went first to Peak Downs and on to Rivenswood.
Just before the Towers rush, with his brother he was camped on tho Broughton River, and when the find was announced, made for the now field. Mr. Greaves set up the first winding plant on the Towers.
With another claim called the “Just in Time”, they were the first to hoist the red flag on the Towers. Some years later he came to Brisbane, but the Palmer rush found him back at his old pursuit, but this time fortune was fickle,and he returned to Brisbane.
In 1875 Mr. Greaves married, and a little later went into the hotel business. His first stand was the Cafe de Paris, which was on the site of the Telegraph Buildings. Since then he has most successfully managed the European (York), Australia, and Newmarket hotels, and now holds the license of the British Empire.
An original member of Tattersall’s, and the Q.T.C., Mr. Greaves is a keen sport. He has taken a great interest in every charitable movement, especially anything connected with the hospitals. Mr. Greaves is also a director of the West End Brewery.
-Truth (Brisbane, Qld.), Sunday 8 January 1905.