The following history is re-publishedf from the Parkerville Tavern‘s website.
The historic Parkerville Tavern is situated in the Perth Hills, Western Australia opposite Jane Brook. It is one of the oldest pubs in Perth and has a bit of a coloured past…
In 1896, Joseph Ottey, a contractor, took up an allotment in the new land division of Parkerville. Parkerville was named to honour Mr Stephen Henry Parker, a barrister and QC, Chairman of the Perth City Council, Colonial Secretary, and Perth’s first Chief Justice (he was knighted for his services in 1908).
On 13 August 1897, Parkerville Lot 72, which is where The Parkerville Tavern sits today, was listed as belonging to Alice Ottey. The Ottey house on the site of the present hotel was a roomy timber and iron place where wife Alice lived with some of her eight children. However, Joseph Ottey was reported as being cruel and violent to his family. In November 1900, Alice tried to get a Protection Order against her husband from the magistrates in Perth and Guildford – but failed.
On 4 December1900, Alice Ottey entered into a violent quarrel with Joseph at their home. First he attacked his son. Then daughter Catherine tried to intercede on behalf of her brother before Ottey turned on her, then his wife, grabbing her by the throat and forcing her, choking, on to the table. In a desperate attempt to protect her mother, Catherine, only 19, and well aware of the violence her father was capable of, seized a loaded revolver and shot her father. Twice. One bullet struck his groin, the other grazed his leg.
Ottey was taken to Guilford Hospital but died the following day. In what became known as “The Parkerville Shooting Case”, daughter Catherine was first accused of wilful murder, but this was later changed to manslaughter. On 18 March 1901, after hearing the long history of domestic violence, the jury, took only five minutes to make its mind up and to much relief, brought in a verdict of not guilty.
A New Pub for Perth
In 1902, following the death of Joseph Ottey, his widow, Alice Ottey applied for, and was granted, a license to sell wine and beer from her residence under the sign of “The Railway Hotel”. With many squatters living in the surrounding bush and a flurry of activity from the local sawmills, gravel quarry, and fruit orchards, it wasn’t long before the hotel was reported to be “in full swing”, with Alice, and her daughter Catherine managing the daily affairs and pouring many pints for the thirsty workers.
Soon enough, Catherine married and moved to Kalgoorlie. Shortly after, Alice decided to rent the premises to a Mr W. Bramwell, and then to a Mr W. Angove, who later made substantial additions, and upgraded “The Railway Hotel” to the status of a full public house and changed the name to “The Parkerville Hotel”.
End of an Era
Other owners and licensees followed, but by 1921, the premises had become so neglected that it was de-licensed, until it was rebuilt in 1928.
In the 1970s, owner of the day, Bill Harrison, changed the name to “The Parkerville Tavern”. Gary Manolas took over in the early 1980s. He added some character to the hotel and enjoyed renewed popularity with the weekly Sunday sessions.
Since the 1980s, The Parkerville Tavern has changed hands numerous times. It survived a fire in 1990, and has undergone further restoration work.
In March 2013, “The Parky” changed hands once again, and is now under new ownership. Two old school buddies from Mazenod, Thomas Martin and Ian O’Connor, and their respective wives Anthea and Joanne, have joined forces to bring you what is The Parkerville Tavern today.
In recent times it has undergone extensive renovations, and is now enjoying renewed popularity with live music on weekends, and good, unpretentious food served 7 days a week, with a family friendly atmosphere. The tavern’s new logo featuring Sir Stephen Henry Parker is a reminder of the tavern’s humble beginnings.
The Parkerville Tavern is located at 6 Owen Road, Parkerville. We are open Monday to Saturday 11am – late and Sunday 11am – 10pm.